Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Huh, how about that?


I have moments (as I'm sure we all do) when an infinite number of tasks must be completed in a finite amount of time and the unexpected fails to confound or fluster---and the only reaction to it is, "Huh, how about that?" I remember busy weekend nights on call on the trauma service; and teenager shows up with a pencil driven through his buttocks into his rectum. What other reaction is there but "Hmm, how about that?"

So today I squeezed my outdoor bike test into some downtime at work. I was determined to NOT be thwarted by paperwork or dictations or phone calls. I quickly finished my work and dressed for the ride. Before heading out for the ride, I spoke to Kevin who reported that it was snowing in Rochester. At my rural hospital 30 miles east of the city, skies were overcast and precipitation free.

About 15 minutes into my ride that snow caught up with me. I've ridden numerous times in the snow on my mountain bike, but never my tri bike. I turned the corner to do the test part and was greeted with a stout headwind. Yeah, whatever--gotta git'r done!

I ride balls out into the driving snow. The wind is howling so loudly that I can't hear cars coming from behind. My mouth hangs open gasping for air. My nose is a faucet from which half of my fluid losses pour out in the form of snot. I'm drooling too. Momentarily I wonder if I was a Newfoundland in my former life. I'm not looking at the powermeter at all---my senses are saturated with wind, snow, cold, snot, drool, and the road. I regard all of it with: "Huh, check that out...how about that?" and am truly immersed in the moment.
It was the most fun ride I've had this season. I wasn't at all pretty or graceful; and neither was the weather. However, I felt calm, happy, and very out of breath. Is this that elusive "riding from the heart" thingy Mary's been talking about? Dunno.
I do know that I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to riding like a Newfoundland on a bike again.

No comments: