Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Collective strength


Good news: I'm not writing about death or drooling like a dog on a bike ride.

Today's blathering is about the great Kings of Thailand. In alot of Thai movies when the hero faces certain doom, he/she, in that time of desparation and grasping for hope, usually evokes the memory of King Naresuan who defeated the Burmese in 1591 and freed the Thai capital from their occupation. The protagonist (a kicker boxer trying to save his family from the Vietnamese mafia, an undercover policeman investigating the illegal endangered animal trade, a cartoon elephant in search of his father) has been beaten and bloodied. The bad guys are getting the better of him and begin a premature victory cheer. Our hero closes his eyes and the scene unravels... On a battlefield in western Thailand, the Thai and Burmese army clash in a fury of swords, arrows, gunfire, and cannons. While foot soldiers and horseman battle man to man on the ground level, another confrontation takes place 12 feet in the air on elephants. King Naresuan fights the Burmese king with lances. Their elephants brawl with tusks. The Thai army and king are outnumbered and appear to be losing. The King summons the courage of his father and all the great kings of Thailand, summons his own courage, and delivers a lethal blow to the Burmese king...
Our hero returns to the reality of his dire situation and gathers the strength from this memory, this collective courage that he is part of because he is Thai and defeats his enemy.
Okay, so it's obvious that I watch alot of predictable, formulaic movies (in English too!). My point is that during times when we need help, hope, courage, strength we can tap into not just our own reserves but into a collective one. We all come from some kind of greatness. In our histories, there are those who possessed and demonstrated extraordinary acts of bravery, fortitude, and perseverence. I think alot about my parents' incredible work ethic and drive to succeed. I think about my grandmother's determination to pull herself out of poverty (she was orphaned at 4 year old and though she was illiterate, she owned a successful business by the time she was in her 20's).
When I'm feeling "up against it--and the breaks are beating the boys", I draw upon the stength of my family, my ancestors, and yes, the great Kings of Thailand. I think,"Remember who you are..."
Gosh, I've always wanted to quote Knute Rockne All-American and Lion King.

No comments: