Saturday, November 10, 2007

A good teacher and Dodging a loaded question

In my former life I was a gastric bypass surgeon. While the operation itself was fun, the most challenging and best part of that job was educating and motivating people to use their "new stomachs" as a tool for weight loss and ultimately, better health. I found that adult education is different from the education of children in that we adults bring to the classroom alot more prejudices, beliefs, and pre-conceived notions that may hinder our ability to learn something new or do something in a different way. I'm always impressed with people who take up a triathlon or snowboarding or painting in their 40's, 50's, and 60's.
I'm also still surprised with what motivates people. Most people respond positively with encouragement. Some respond very well to reward and punishment (myself included). A few seemingly incorrigible individuals respond to scolding (which make me very uneasy from the giving end). What motivates people (and myself) to change and learn will continue to be a ongoing process of discovery for me.
All that being said, I have found Kevin to be a good teacher on mountain biking. First, he never gives me more than 3 pieces of advice per ride. I can't handle more than that! Second, he seems to know when I'm being a wimp and need to hear,"Suck it up, buttercup, and RIDE," and when I'm really justified for fear and stops to explain how to traverse a slick log that's on an off-camber drop-off. Third, (I hate to admit this one) he knows when he's got to patronize me. Just up the trail I'll hear,"This is gonna look worse than it really is--it's just like a rollercoaster, honey!". I get to a series of small hills and valleys in close succession where I'd usually unclip or tense up, but instead I roll through it---just like a rollercoaster. I am rewarded with an "Atta girl!" and there's a huge grin on my face.
So post-ride, I'm feeling round in the edges and stuffed into my bike shorts. Stricken with guilt (but not enough guilt), I lay on Kevin the classic female loaded question,"Do you think I'm fat?" He takes one look at me and without hesitation he responds,"Don't lose weight for me. I think you look great. But if you want to break 5:30 at Eagleman, you'd better drop some pounds." My teacher---he's like freakin' Yoda!

No comments: