Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Beautiful Day

Thanks to the best fiancee on earth I was able to more or less sleep for 36 hours this past weekend, getting up only to eat and go to the bathroom. I have dreamed to being born in the next life as a lioness in the Serengeti: a life of hanging out with my family, punctuated by quick bursts of energy, teamwork, and rewards of eating alot of red meat, and best of all 20 hours of sleep a day. Thank you again, Kevin--this weekend I was living the dream!
The rest launched me back into the land of living; and I'm feeling 90% back to completely healthy. I ran for the first time in 10 days on New Year's Eve, a 30 minute E-pace run in the crisp winter air that was glorious. I quickly found comfort in the rhythm of my cadence and lost myself in counting my footfalls. Most of my fluid losses was through my runny nose. I visualized the cold viruses draining out of my head.
Kevin worked the downtown fireworks detail that night so he didn't get home until 1:30 am. We had a candlelit champagne toast and dined on the most pungent French cheese I could find at Wegman's . Then only a few hours later we were in the snowy parking lot at Mendon Ponds Park for a New Year's Day run with our friends. The roads weren't plowed that early in the morning so we all ran in the snow-covered roads with white flakes falling quietly around us. I ran with Mary and Dana. We chatted about Ironman, Mount Everest, and Luc--and in a blink the run was done. When the boys returned, I showed them just how an Asian girl can throw snowballs--very poorly!
Later that evening, Kevin and I talked about our 2008 goals. He thought I could take 15 minutes off my run time from last year's Eagleman. It was hard for me to see that given my E-pace is 10:40 min/miles, but I was excited and energize by the possibilities. I am fully aware that I lead a charmed life; and everyday I try to have the utmost gratitude for my health, my family, and Kevin. Today I wanted to put my thoughts down in words. What a wonderful way to start the new year: A day filled with recovery, reunions, champagne, and possibilities!

No comments: