Friday, December 28, 2007

Icky Sicky

Six days ago I came down with a full-blown cold: sneezing, sniffling, coughing, stuffy nose, I-really-need-to-rest syndrome. I took off 3 days from training, feeling mostly guilt-free, convinced that my patience with illness would result in a quick recovery. Of course, Christmas and being on call overlaped my illness and despite taking days off from training and preaching to myself about rest, I still felt compelled to make a Christmas ham, scalloped potatoes, clean the kitchen floor, and do 5 loads of laundry--on top of going to work. Nonetheless, I felt well enought to do an easy 60 min on the trainer Christmas day and thought I'd be ready to run and ride the next day. Wrong-0!
I've taken that last 2 days off from training--now quite begrudingly. I figured I had enough energy to either do my work-outs or put in full day of work, but not both. My head has been in a fog of mucous. My brain function has been dulled by antihistamines, decongestants, and cough syrup. Kevin has basically been caring for a mentally impaired girl for the last 6 days.
6 days. I've lost all patience for this cold which has now become my first bout of sinusitis. I've taken a lethal dose of Ibuprofen to lessen the pick-axe in the middle of my forehead pain to a dull throbbing. I'm ready to beg my Head and Neck surgeon colleagues if there is such a thing as Liquid Draino for my head---oh yeah, it's called Afrin--but don't get hooked on it. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I've taken 5 whole days off from training and I should be better by now, ready to crank out watts, do my swim test, and just run at E-pace for 30 measly minutes dammit!
The truth of the matter is that I really didn't take 5 full days off--I couldn't. I had to work. Of course, I didn't have to make Christmas dinner or do laundry or clean, but I did. It's not easy being patient with myself when I'm sick. It's not easy for me to rest completely and guilt-free. The weekend is upon me and I'll make myself rest for the next two days. However, the cupboards are bare and laundry's piling up again...

No comments: