Monday, December 3, 2007

All kinds of changes

Gosh, this blog was quoted by Coach Mary last week; and now I feel like I should write something profound. However, there will no such thing for this entry...
It's the end of my first week back to training. None of the E pace runs hurt. None of the Active recovery/Endurance rides hurt either. After one ride on the Computrainer, my Spinscan numbers were back up to usual and "Trainer crotch" calloused up nicely. Even the swims felt fine as they are mostly drills and easy sets. I'm ravenously hungry every 2 hours and ready to go to bed by 9 pm again. Yep, it's like slipping back into a comfy routine.
My job has me very concerned and thinking alot of about bowel movements. Yes, poop. Every patient who has had an operation is encouraged to get out of bed and walk as soon as they can. This is to prevent blood clots in the legs, pneumonias, and fevers from parts of the lung collapsing. Mostly importantly to me is that a patient who has had bowel surgery and who walks post-operatively has a quicker return of bowel function. So, everyday (twice a day) I visit these patients and ask them if they have farted yet (I say, "Sir/Ma'am, have you passed flatus?"--it sounds more doctorly). It is a joyous day indeed with the passing of gas "out the bottom" for my post-op patients! Soooo, what does THIS have to do with triathlon?
With the start of the season comes more running, riding, and kicking in the water. The legs are connected to the colon---I know mine are! Welcome back regularity for Kitima! I hope not too many people are grossed out---after all, aren't we that part of society that urinate in our wetsuits and while riding the bike? I don't need remind all of you how many people on the run portion of Ironman were powered by methane, turbo released from the rear.
Something more profound next time...

No comments: