Friday, August 29, 2008

Penticton, Baby, Penticton!




Seattle is where I started my triathlon love affair. Most people I met there were active, outdoorsy, and owned the toys (kayak, mountain bike, camping gear) to support that lifestyle. With a friendly and supportive triathlon community and gorgeous places to race locally, an 8 year relationship ensued.


The "local" Ironman for the PNW is Ironman Canada--or simply known as "Penticton". It (like any Iron-distance race) was the ultimate triathlon goal. Not just for being 140.6 miles long, but for the sheer natural beauty of the course, the incredible support of rabid fans, and the overall amazing race experience. From the very first time I'd even considered doing Penticton, I'd known that one must travel there the year before, volunteer, then sign up in person. (In fact, I never knew that you could sign up for an Ironman on-line until I moved to NY.)


So in 2003, after a few Oly's under my belt, I made it my goal race my first HIM at Troika (Spokane, WA) that summer then sign up for Penticton 04. Those plans were completely derailed with a chronic knee injury and a move back to NY that summer. I didn't know when I would ever return to my Shangri La of the PNW much less when I would ever race Penticton...




Until today! 400 slots opened up on-line at noon today; and I snagged one of them!


I had patients scheduled in the Wound Clinic up until noon. Against everything I believe about customer service and patient care, I told my nurse that regardless of what I was doing at 11:45am I was going to walk out of the exam room and go register for this race. Mercifully, the last patient cancelled and I was perched in front a computer with my credit card by 11:30. The link came up on the webpage and my hands shook as I hurriedly typed. One swift click of the mouse...Wah?! Wrong month on the credit card expiration date! Try again...HURRY!! "Your registration was successful." SCORE!!! My registration time was 9:01 PT. I quickly hit the link again and typed in Kevin's info--which took all of 45 seconds--but the registration was full. I felt really bad about it. If only I could type faster or wield that mouse more adeptly or not screw up the credit card expiration date...arg! (He really didn't feel bad about it at all--what a relief!)


What's icing on this joyous cupcake is that my dear friend, Nathalie, got in too!


It's funny how quickly things can change. Just yesterday I was devouring the last morsels of cookie dough immersed in an unshakable ennui about next year's season. Maybe I'd do HIM's again or maybe only Xterras or maybe only sprints or maybe get really serious about bird watching and do some yard work...Now with Penticton on the horizon, I've got plans...
1. Lose weight/Change body composition. That spare tire under my FuelBelt is not going to help increase my Vdot or help me maintain even E-pace during the marathon. I'm going to start keeping a food diary. I've counselled/lectured/nagged enough patients about weight loss--I know what I need to do.
2. Swim in earnest. No more *sigh* get in the pool and splash around for 3K meters in a half-hearted, half-assed effort. Starting Tues I'm swimming with Masters twice a week + once by myself for mental toughness. No wall hanging.
3. Strength train/yoga. I'm not 25 years old anymore. Enough said.
4. Train consistently. In a mere 6 weeks, I shall no longer be on call, work weekends, or be enslaved by the life of a general surgeon. So there should be NO EXCUSES for to not pry my ass out of bed or off the butt-groove in the couch to work out.
Getting a spot at Penticton next year is like a gift. No, more like getting something I've always wanted and never thought I could have. It's like getting a chance to schtoop the prom queen (I'd say the captain of the football team, but he was no prize). It's an Ironman I can get excited about. Time to lace up and hit the pavement!


2 comments:

Nathalie said...

Woohoo!!! We got in!! Like you said this is a gift. I will train for this like no other. I will do those brick runs!! I'm so glad you got in. This Ironman will be magical. I can't wait. One year from today we will be in PENCTICTON!! This is a dream!

Nathalie

Mary Eggers said...

WOO HOO! I shall live through you guys!