Friday, August 1, 2008

Triathlon Care Bear






Two weeks before my first HIM (Musselman 06), the weather forecast predicted temps in the mid-90's and high humidity for race day. In Gone with the Wind/Scarlett stares down post-war Tara fashion, I said,"As God as my witness, I'll never complain about the heat on race day!"


So over the July 4th weekend I do my last long run with some tri-pals on the Mussel run course. We start at noon to run during the hottest part of the day. There was sunshine and temps in the 90's as we started our run. First miles of the course are flat and scenic; and the mood of the group is happy. When the hills start, the grumbling does as well. Then it started to rain. Thinking out loud, I say,"Well, at least this rain will cool us off for the climb." By mile 6, we begin to really climb on an exposed dirt road through a corn field. The rain stops. The sun beats down upon us; and a whopping head wind nearly blows us over at the top of the hill. My comment,"Well, the sun will help us dry off and the wind will keep us cool from the heat." As we roll back through town, a sun shower sprinkles us with more rain. I say,"Well, the sprinkles are good for keeping cool and the sunshine will cheer us up."


At that point (about 10 miles into the run), my friend Barb turns to me and asks," Are you planning on racing with that Care Bear on your shoulder?" Now I've done it: pushed a friend over the brink to sarcasm with my cheerfulness. But what's the point in complaining about something that you have no control over? "Yes," I answered," I plan on having a horde of Care Bears with me for this race."
So during the run of Musselman 2006, the weather was hot, hot, hot as predicted. I caught Barb at mile 10 through town. She told me later that she saw the sign on the bank indicating the temperature to be 96 degrees. I never saw this sign. She never mentioned it until after the race---must've been distracted by Care Bears ;)
Fast forward to yesterday's run test. I'm standing on the barren wasteland of the Canandaigua HS track in 87 degree heat and a stiff wind. My friend Laura is there to call out my 400m splits and cheer me on. I tell her, "Well, at least the wind will keep me cool." (Care Bear Alert!) She laughs, "I'm glad you have that attitude cuz I wouldn't want to be running in this."
At every split, I see her. Stop watch and clipboard in hand (she's recording the splits!), she's cheering me on,"Great job! Way to run steady! Good cadence!" It dawns on me by the 9th lap that I'm looking forward to running by her, not just to hear my splits but to be encouraged by her cheering. The voice I want to hear when it hurts so much that I can barely concentrate is one that encourages and reassures. Not HTFU (Frankly, that phrase has become hackneyed and banal)--I want to hear Care Bears!
Good thing to figure out...I shall start recruiting them from their netherworld of rainbows and sunshine for the Longhorn 70.3!

No comments: