Thursday, October 16, 2008

Climb Every Mountain



Two weeks into my off-season I'm happy to report that:



  • The dog has replaced the Garmin as my running companion.

  • I've rekindled the flames with my first velo love--my road bike (sans computer and powermeter).

  • I found an old friend and made some new friends in the pool--they ALL swim faster than me.

Neglected household projects are getting done.

I'm catching up on sleep. Coach Mary believes that fitness is bankable. I believe that sleep is bankable. Though I think I would have to be in a coma for a couple years to catch up on all the sleep I missed during residency!



My off-season and retirement from general surgery came within the same week (which almost makes up for my malpractice trial ending 3 days before my A race this year). I came home from Austin and found myself with more free time than I'd had since I was a kid on summer vacation. I truly feel like the most wealthy person in the world because I have the things that I value the most: my health, my family, a happy home, and free time.



It's amazing how a little sleep, alot less stress, and the luxury of not rushing from one task to the next has changed my mindset. In planning the 2009 season, I've scheduled a hilly, tough HIM in May as a tune-up for Penticton. I've scouted out some hilly, long ride routes for Nathalie and me that will take us into the lowest elevations in the Finger Lakes so we can have long climbs up and out of them. Hilly trails and road routes are on the menu for the run training. I'm seriously considering ending the season with American Zofingen. Looks like the theme for next season is elevation gain! Now if you rewind to 4 weeks ago and presented this plan to me, I would have given you the hairy eyeball and said, "No f@*&!king way! I'm taking up quilting."



Seems like a couple of afternoon naps these last few days has got me thinking that I'm some invincible mountain goat! It's not that I think I'm gonna "go sub-9 at Kona"--unless that means running at least one mile of the marathon under 9 minutes. In fact, none of my goals so far have anything to do with results. Of course, I would like to increase my FTP, Vdot, 1000m swim time but for now I'm enjoying thinking of possibilities...The possibility of finding new races/venues right in my back yard (and finally getting to the dream race on the other side of the continent!), the possibility that I can climb on my bike/on my feet they way I did 15 years ago, the possibility that somewhere in me is an invincible mountain goat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Kate Hakkinen

Anonymous said...

I was looking for some info and was searching on Yahoo.com for it. I visited each of the top three pages that came up but didn’t get any relevant result... I then luckily found your diamond forum in the dirt and thought to check it out. This is what I wanted!

Cheers dudes at train-thisironman.blogspot.com and keep this fantastic effort up.

[color=#445566][URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]Sports Nutrition[/URL] [URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]bodybuilding[/URL] [URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]Sports Supplements[/URL] [URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]bodybuilding supplements[/URL] [/color]

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at train-thisironman.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Harry

Anonymous said...

Its my at the start in good time always to transmit on this forum,just wannat pushy some friends here.if its not allowed to advise on this board,please erase this thread.Nice to find you!

---------------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.sexybags.info/rssrock.html]My designer handabgs[/url]

Anonymous said...


Nike Air Max série des dernières améliorations en argent 2013 Chaussures
A[url=http://airmaxpascherfrs.webs.com]Nike Air Max Pas Cher[/url], la dernière amélioration Air Max + 2013 Chaussures après la sortie en Novembre, a récemment lancé une nouvelle édition limitée. Chaussures à Hyperfuse matière d'argent comme la partie supérieure, à la fois respirante et avantages légers, également équipés d'une unité de toute la paume de coussin transparent Air Max et de la technologie d'ajustement dynamique dynamique Flywire, d'apporter supérieure Moins porteur résistance au choc et flexibilité. La Nike Air Max + 2013 LE aura lieu le 26 Décembre à les rayons des magasins désignés.


Magasin avec confiance. Website: http://nikeairmaxnikefr2013.webs.com