Sunday, March 2, 2008

They're back


It's 32 degrees outside. The sky is blue and only a light breeze stirs the air. The snow that had blown onto the road yesterday has all melted. The red-tail hawks and the kestrel that hunt in the fields on my run route were out in force. Compared to the last 3 months, today's weather is a wonderful respite. I'm quite sure I even saw an Eastern Bluebird. Their color really stands out in the snow. It seemed that two of them flew across the road 10 yards in front of me. I picked it up from E-pace to interval pace to see if they were really bluebirds. It was only 2.4 miles into the run so I couldn't have been too delirious from dehydration, hypoglycemia, or fatigue. Yep, there they were: two very blue sparrow-sized birds with reddish brown chests. March is the earliest I've ever seen them return. (They migrate south for the winter--not too bird-brained, huh?)

Change is just around the corner. I can feel it--whether it's a change in the weather, in myself, in the world. It's coming...


No comments: