Saturday, December 16, 2006

Jackie D - Weeks 6 & 7

Week 6- starting Monday 23 October 2006

Well I still rode outside this week but I was wrapped up well with lots of layers (have I mentioned I don’t like the cold?!). I learnt a new drinking technique on the bike as well. It’s called, “ How to drink water from a water bottle when you go out for a ride immediately after an anaesthetic injection from the dentist”. It was messy I can tell you and I am glad it was just water, but by the end my technique of opening mouth and squirting forcefully in the right direction (so as not to have to dribble) was pretty much perfected.

I tried my first “Gu” during the group trail run. YUM. It tasted just like chocolate pudding. Definitely worth experimenting with this one a lot more J. I was trying to time it so that the energy kick would get me up the hill I call to myself “killer” on the way back but the hill still felt awful. I didn’t feel any turbo boost but I did feel strong still at the finish. No adverse gut effects, just a slight side stitch but that might have been the hill efforts so better try it again :) and again :) and again:).



Week 7- starting Monday 30 October 2006


This week I had the mission of starting to make friends with my indoor bike trainer. Two bike workouts were scheduled for the trainer and tempting though it was to go outside, I put a kids movie on (Harry Potter - no Spinervals yet - they’re in my letter to Father Christmas) and got on with it. On the positive side I am sure I am getting used to the saddle and get less sore each time. On the negative side, the spot in front of the TV means I have a good view of myself in a mirror over the fireplace and I don’t like the wobble of that belly fat!

Talking of belly fat, this week must be one of the worst for candy lovers like myself (OK candy lovers who are trying to resist - like myself). I wasn’t too bad - partly ‘cos I made darling hubby lock the leftovers in his car and partly ‘cos I have told the kids if they catch me eating chocolate then I will pay them a $1. Drastic measures!

I still managed to cycle outside though. With a few layers and some gloves and the sun shining it is very pleasant indeed. Many bare trees though, a sure sign that winter is on it’s way.

This week was the first week that I have started feeling a bit over tired and on by Thursday was really looking forward to the recovery week next week. Then came the trail run on Sunday. It was along the canal followed by breakfast and maybe that was all the incentive I needed! I tried a vanilla gu just before we set off because I couldn‘t get up in time for breakfast (another yum) and I had a great run. Perhaps I just needed a day off (which is Saturday for me). Suddenly recovery week wasn’t so appealing. Mary made a comment about how the hills in Mendon were paying off and when I think about it that is such a great way to look at it. I had been thinking the opposite way - in that - I can run on flat but not very good at hills. I am learning so much from my trainer.

No comments: